Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Fall, y'all

My Favorite Fall quilt on the wall. This is my seasonal display area although I place seasonal quilts all over.
This is not from this year, but it's one of my four seasonal abstracts. When I showed Summer I said I'd show you all of them.
Here is Fall, and Summer (click for that post). Winter and Spring to follow...and they are more abstract.
Just to show you a few details on Fall:
I remember my thoughts on making this.
I pulled out my squares box, chose fall colors and don't forget bright blue and green.

When the background was pleasing, I cut tree limbs.

I pieced some of them with free form curves and thin strips




I do not love fusible web so I just place the fabric on the background and go to the machine to free motion quilt it in place.
quilted with repetitive lines and gold metallic YLI thread. VERY well behaved in most machines. Note some fun leaf fabric on the border. The side borders are Carol Breyer Fallert fabric. She often answers the phone when you call to place an order! And she's a dancer!
 squares are perfectly evenly sewn and not rippled as it looks in this picture.
Swirling breezes quilted in with madeira metallic blue thread. I love the soft edge of non fused raw edge fabric, heavily quilted it creates a lovely texture seen close up.

Forgive my photo skills. My back is hurting, and I didn't square myself up to the quilt for taking a picture.
 Repeated lines of quilting add to the sense of sunlight at the top. Repeated lines on tree add to sense of bark. Border quilting done with walking foot, all other quilting done with free motion.

Again, this quilt is very flat and well sewn! I should not take photos when hurting but life being what it is... well you'll understand!
just enjoy the colors,(ignore the angled photos) like the real life days.

I love the hollow in the trunk here. Depth is created with shade and contrast. Splashes of color created with scissors and scraps.
I am inspired by colors, and how they relate to each other. I walk a lot and note colors I see, often coming home jazzed to pull some scraps to play.

I could dither over placement for years, so I make snap judgements for the most part on these quilts. Go ahead and move pieces around til you're happy, just don't try for perfection. I admit to taking more time with borders.

I have learned a lot while exploring abstraction concepts. Capture an essence. Create a feeling.


44 comments:

Kat Scribner said...

This is an awesome piece. Love the shadowing with the tree. Excellent piece of art.

Preeti said...

Breathtakingly beautiful. I love fall and you artwork is even lovelier.
Hugs,
Preeti.

PaintedThread said...

So pretty. I love the fall colors and the overall feel of this piece.

I had some gold thread I was so excited to quilt with, and the darned stuff snapped after a few stitches. Adjusting the tension didn't seem to do a darned thing. :-( So I'm jealous!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

This is just beautiful and you have definitely captured the essence of fall. I also loved reading your process; you are obviously talented to have it work out like it does. In my hands, not so much. LOL

LA Paylor said...

not all metallics are equal. YLI, madeira, or superior are better. Size 90 needle, and use a topsitch or metallica needle.

~Diana said...

LeeAnna, it's beautiful! Very inspiring!

Lin said...

Beautiful! xx

Ann said...

What a delightful series this will be. I love your stitching; the wind blows off the quilt itself.
I'm not a fusible fan either. Nor is Freddy Moran I discovered. She uses the same technique you do: slap it down and machine stitch it in place with the quilting. Great minds think alike. I'll have to emulate you two some day.
Thanks for linking this lovely improv with AHIQ.

Nancy A. Bekofske said...

That is beautiful

Sara said...

Beautiful wall hanging. I love seeing quilts on walls because it makes the room so cozy.

Joanne said...

A sunset over a pumpkin patch!
Wow! Love how the border works! Gorgeous Fall image!
The shading in the tree brings it to life!

Libby in TN said...

Beautiful quilts! I admire your bravery in not using fusible.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love the way you make the backgrounds out of the little squares! Do you work from a photograph? Your landscape quilts are so beautiful!

Maria said...

Absolutely Stunning!!!

LA Paylor said...

no, I take mental photos every time I walk!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

what great color in the Fall! I think I will have some open walls for quilt hanging in the 'new' house.

claudia said...

Your fall wallhanging is beautiful, so is the summer one! I can wait for winter, but I can't wait to see your winter wall hanging! (and your spring one!) Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you have a great day!!!

easyweimaraner said...

I love it! it could be the wish tree :O)

JOY @ http://joysjotsshots.blogspot.com/ said...

I've been looking for a tree idea for a quilt for quiet some time. Wanted to make a thank-you quilt to pay back a family that helped remove a large fallen tree this past summer. I love this idea! Thanks for getting the brainstorm rolling again.

LA Paylor said...

Remember to send me a picture of what y'all make if you were inspired by my work. It would make me very happy!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Very cool!! Very artistic!

Lara B. said...

I love your joyful use of color Lee Anna! This autumn wall hanging is inspiring. The tree trunk has great visual texture.

Stephie said...

This one's a real eye-catcher LeeAnna! I think it must be one of my favourites of yours so far :) x

Kitty | Night Quilter said...

What a beautiful quilt!! It most certainly embraces that fall vibe! Lovely!

Kaja said...

Wow - great colours and I love that you included the deep blues and greens in the mix.I would want to keep this one on the wall all year round.

Angela said...

Gorgeous!

quiltedfabricart said...

Love this! The quilting is perfect for it. Moves like the wind blowing leaves around. Happy Thanksgiving!

Lena Pugacheva said...

Beautiful color play in the background, Lee Anna! And the quilting adds so much to the seasonal mood.

Linda Wulf Koenig said...

Oh my gosh, I saw "Y'all" and knew I had to read this (we say Y'all here, too), and then realized it was awesome YOU. I wish to gosh I had your imagination. Just lovely, as always.

Dar said...

This is the kind of Fall I'd like to emulate in a quilt. It just feels like Fall from the fist moment I saw it. Love your techniques. Not a fan of fusible either, but I usually resort to hand applique. I may have to try your technique one day if I ever get all my UFO's caught up. Lovely work and your mind's eye is perfection.

Cathy said...

Gorgeous quilts, and I am remiss for not remarking sooner! You truly are not afraid of color; the stunning results prove it. xo

PaulaB quilts said...

Bringing that mental picture to life is a beautiful gift you have. Doing all that thoughtful work and not quitting until it is just right is art for sure. It truly says Fall in the colors, the bare tree and the mixture on the ground. Wish I could see it in person, a photo can't do it justice.

Emily said...

It's so beautiful! A really lovely depiction of fall.

Dash Kitten Crew said...

Happy Thankful Thursday. We are late catching up but love seeing such lovely work. How inspiring!

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Your Fall quilt is as fabulous as a crisp autumn morn. Totally beautiful! Love the colors.

Unknown said...

What a lovely, different interpretation of fall.

Miaismine said...

Again, I am amazed by your artistic skills! Such a free form, yet warm and lovely representation of fall! Sending this link to my daughter! Thank you for sharing!

Susan said...

My goodness - Fall is such a lovely quilt! You did a wonderful job on fabric selection and quilting. Thank you so much for sharing on Midweek Makers!

audrey said...

Beautiful quilt! Love the colors so much.

AlidaP said...

You captured the feeling of fall beautifully!! The quilting gives it a great movement, thanks for sharing!!

Kate said...

Beautiful! You definitely got the colors and the autumn feel completely right.

Amy Art Quilter & Fyber Cafe said...

Hi Leanna I've been having computer issues. I've been using my phone for emails but then my phone died too. Argh, so new phone but it's not synced with everything yet. I decided to stay home for thanksgiving, had quiet dinner just with myself. hope you had a good gobble gobble day.

Muv said...

Hello LeeAnna,

This is so gorgeous! Thank you for linking up - your quilt is this week's featured project at Free Motion Mavericks!

Sorry to hear about your bad back. I hope it didn't spoil your enjoyment of Thanksgiving.

Love, Muv

Funky Diva said...

LeeAnna, I like theses little quilts very much. Maggie