Sunday, September 14, 2014

Winter BOM--Trees

 I'm doing the BOM over at quiltdoodledesigns.
This month it's another tree, to go with two others and a house all on one row.

I cut all fabrics from my scrap bins, (want to see the scrap-containment-system?)   and got a little dark compared to the other blocks already made.

It's been so much fun making a row or block once a month.
At the end of the post I'll show you what I have made so far...

The tree and sky are dark, so I decided to couch a lime perle cotton around the tree to make it stand out. This thread nest happened all by itself in the thread drawer...
 For Pete's sake! What a mess. Reminded me of the great ribbon floss knitting skein incident of 2010.

(Never, I repeat never cut the tabs on a ribbon floss skein before putting it on a swift)

I took a moment and wound it onto an empty spool so it can be used, maybe, to define the tree when I start the quilting. Like this?

When I started to cut out pieces for the tree I didn't make in May, I thought, why not use those gorgeous snowy fabrics you've been saving?

(I am saving them for two winter quilts planned/started)

Use them, girl! You will not use them up, and you can enjoy them on this quilt!
Are the moderns out there smirking yet?



Look at the stash of beauties I've accumulated over the years.

They are so pretty, cows in the snow, stars in the snow, snowmen in the snow!

Look at this one...

 So delish!

Good thing I was smart enough to buy more than a half yard this time! Of course it was probably on sale at some cute little quilt shop on one of my travels.

Still.

Here we are, cut out and ready to construct the ahem, May block.

Never too late to join, y'all

It's going to be a big quilt, a bed sized and I'm planning to quilt it in sections then join them.

We have a king, so I need to think ahead to the quilting process.

So far here are  the finished parts
There will be lots of extras as well, like little black button eyes on the snowmen, adornments on the house, snowflakes around the trees and metallic threads. Pretty! LeeAnna







17 comments:

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I love your bright blues. This quilt is G O R G E O U S !!!

Turid said...

This is going to be beautiful. I would like to join in, but just now I have too many projects going on. And for the time being I'm not a frien with my sewing machine.

legato1958 said...

This is a beautiful block! I love these vibrant colors! The finished quilt will be really pretty!
Susie

Kaja said...

I love your tree/sky colours. You have lots of projects on the go at once! I would never be able to keep track :-)

Quilt Doodle Designs said...

Love, love, love your quilt so far! Loving how you've used your fabrics and colors ....

CityHouseStudio said...

What a fabulous quilt! I love the tree, with the blue background squares -- so cool!

JOY @ http://joysjotsshots.blogspot.com/ said...

Better late than never, I say. Just look what beauty would never have been created had you not followed through no matter what month?

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Your tree turned out great!

Laney said...

Yeah, that last Christmasy - wintery fabric is cool. I love Christmas stuff in that glowy style. The blue backgrounds in your blocks really sparkle. And I love row quilts so it's fun to see yours in progress!

canuckquilter said...

May is for gardening. September is for catching up on the sewing :) I love your wintery fabrics. I think we all have certain fabrics that are hard to cut into, because the next project might be an even more perfect showcase for them!

Cathy said...

I've been working on that one too. Well I started it. I came to a screeching halt when my house blended in way too much into the background. Your idea with the floss may work for it. I love the way yours is progressing! Can't wait to see it finished!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Your quilt is looking wonderfully rich and warm with all these beautiful fabrics and blocks. Some metallic thread will really add something special too. Are you planning to use Sliver or a regular metallic? I've used Sliver for a few things recently and love it.

Plum Cox said...

What amazing work - love the scraptastic blocks you are making (and I also love your scrap storage system!).
Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I love the trees and coffee-- 2 of my all time favorite things!

Lorna McMahon said...

What a beautiful start! Those blocks are a delight! And your stash of Christmas fabrics is sew pretty. Nice work, LeeAnna!

Shannon @ Modern Tradition Quilts said...

Hello! What a great project. Tahnk you for sharing it on my linky party KISMIF at Modern Tradition Quilts!--Shannon http://moderntraditionquilts.blogspot.com

Ruth said...

Looks really lovely - great winter project and lovely fabrics too!